In the nosework lab, the dog’s job is to search the area and find the food bowl and/or target odor. He should:
- Put his nose as close to the food bowl and/or target odor as possible.
- Be “obedient to odor”, rather than focussing on the handler to follow obedience commands
- Return to the food bowl for several rewards
- Stay at the food bowl until lured away. We never want the dog to choose to leave the food bowl and/or target odor. After several rewards, your instructor either sticks food on his nose and lures him away (or removes the bowl).
- Most importantly, the dog should be having fun, so that his confidence, motivation and nosework skills will increase over time.