About Hunter’s Heart K9 Scent Detection Training
From bed bugs to birds, from narcotics to nosework, Dr. Carla Simon BSc MD MBA’s motivational training has helped hundreds of K9 scent detection teams to reach their potential. Carla is a Scent Detection Instructor (Kayenna Kennels), Past President of Sniff Alberta, Sniffing Dog Sports Judge, and Certifying Official for UKC Nosework (the second largest kennel club in the world). Carla is currently training bed bug and narcotics detection candidates for WDDO (World Detector Dog Organization) and law enforcement K9 Certification.
Since 1999, Carla has bred and trained scent dogs for Hunter’s Heart Kennels, as featured in the Pointing Dog Journal, Dogs in Canada, and American Brittany magazines. In 2018, her puppy Jager was selected by Canadian Border Services Agency for its narcotics and firearms detection training program. Carla’s Brittanys have multi Elite High in Trial wins in UKC Elite Nosework, titled in K9 ABC Games Triple Odor Games, and qualified in Iron Dog (California, USA). In addition to field and scent titles, her dogs have won gold at AAC Alberta Agility Championships, National High in Trial Agility Brittany and Best in Specialty at the Canadian National Brittany Specialty. Her Brittanys have achieved numerous Top 5 national rankings in agility, conformation and obedience competition. Click here to learn more about Hunter’s Heart upcoming litters of Brittany puppies.
Carla is a Contributing Editor for the American Brittany Magazine, and a sought-after speaker who drew a sold-out crowd of more than 600 at UBC’s Chan Centre for the Performing Arts. Carla has trained with the Scandinavian Working Dog Institute, Andrew Ramsey (California, USA, who trains narcotics and explosives dogs for military and law enforcement), Karen Kroyer (Texas, USA), John Rogerson (UK), and tracked with Calgary’s Schutzund club. Additionally, Carla conducted Behavior Assessments for the Calgary Humane Society, onboarding junior assessors. In her capacity as a Canine Good Neighbor Evaluator, she organized Alberta’s first CGN test, and has evaluated potential PALS prospects and pets at events such as Pet Expo. She chaired the American Brittany Club’s Performance Committee (AKC), and was appointed to the Health & Genetics Committee of the CKC.
Carla’s scent detection students are known for their focussed enthusiasm, and have titled from Novice AKC and C-WAGS up to Excellent SDDA (Canada) up to Elite UKC Nosework (USA). Carla employs an evidence-based approach to train detection dogs of all ages, sizes, temperaments and abilities to become reliable scent detection dogs. She appreciates the science underpinning olfaction, scent, and statistical reliability, helping students to understand and apply the latest scientific research to their training.
- While studying Biology at the University of Western Ontario, Carla’s projects included the social behavior of lemurs to the genetics of fruit flies and the cellular biology, neurology, anatomy, and physiology (structure and function) of mammals.
- While studying Medicine at the University of Toronto, she studied performance in sports, neurology, and cellular signalling, and assisted numerous head and neck surgeries, including septoplasties to improve nasal airflow.
- While studying for the Masters of Business Administration, she excelled in applied Statistics and Forecasting.
- While managing BC Cancer Agency’s Provincial Cancer Prevention Programs, she taught physicians about prevention (where false positives and false negatives are essential to evaluate programs).
Join Carla’s scent detection classes at Kayenna Kennels, Calgary, or learn scent detection online with Hunter’s Heart’s international students.
To receive free tips, scent puzzles and the latest scent detection training news, click the blue button above to follow this blog.
HUNTER’S HEART WEBSITES
Online Scent Dog Training: http://store.huntersheart.com/nosework_UKC_SDDA_NACSW_scent_detection_s/1673.htm
Our Brittany Spaniel Puppies: http://www.huntersheart.com/kennel.html
2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks
- Back by Popular Demand: Nosework Crash Course Weekend, July 15/16, Hunter’s Heart (Calgary), Nosework Blog | Hunter's Heart
- Last chance for Scent Detection classes starting tomorrow (Calgary, Wed. March 7), Hunter's Heart, Canada
Comments are closed.